Pirates boarded a container ship off the coast of Nigeria, seizing 11 crew including eight from Poland, according the vessel’s management firm and Polish state media. The attackers struck the MV Pomerania Sky, bound for the Nigerian port of Onne, early on Saturday and abducted 11 of the crew, Midocean (IOM) Ltd said in a statement on Sunday. The firm added that nine others remained on board and were unharmed. “Our priority is securing the earliest release of the eleven crew who have been taken and we are working closely with our partners and the local authorities to achieve that,” Midocean said. “The families of those crew members taken are being kept informed of the situation,” said the company. It added the vessel had proceeded to safe waters Nigerian police and the navy did not immediately respond to calls and texts seeking comment. Midocean declined to say where the kidnapped crew members were from, but Polish state media, citing Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz, said eight of them were from Poland. The nationality of the three other abducted crew members was not immediately clear Kidnappings and piracy in Nigeria and the Gulf of Guinea are common. Source Reuters, Reporting by Marcin Goclowski in Warsaw and Paul Carsten in Abuja, Additional reporting by Camillus Eboh in Abuja, Editing by William Maclean)
Sharing our expertise on sustainable security systems
The Maritime Security Alliance is a platform of maritime stakeholders aimed to provide ships with non-lethal, non-violent protection against maritime crime. Continuous innovation and creative thinking of its expert team will improve security conditions for seafarers by ensuring effective, legitimate and affordable self-protection measures.
The Maritime Security Alliance offers the service of one single contact for integrated solutions against piracy.
- Nigeria Leads in Piracy Attacks in Gulf of Guinea
- Pirates Seize Eight Polish Crew, Three Others From Ship Off Nigeria Coast
- Getting to the root of maritime piracy
- Nigeria Piracy Attack: MV Glarus update
- Anti Paricay Efforts
- Pirates kidnap 12 crew members from Swiss vessel in Nigerian waters
- Engaging More Platforms in the Fight Against Maritime Crimes
- Seven armed robberies on ships in Asia reported in August
- Tanker with 19 crew on board missing in piracy-plagued West African waters
- Arab coalition thwarts Houthi boat bomb targeting commercial ships off Yemen