THERE was a total of eight reported incidents of armed robbery against ships in Asia, one of which was an attempted incident in August, one fewer than the total number of incidents reported the month before, according to the Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia (ReCAPP). Of the eight incidents reported in August, six incidents occurred on board ships at anchor/berth and two incidents on board ships while underway. Of the seven actual incidents, one was CAT 2 incident and the other six were CAT 4 incidents, reported ReCAPP No piracy incident was reported, and no reports were reported of crew being abducted in the Sulu-Celebes Seas. There was also no ship hijacked for the theft of oil cargo A total of 57 incidents comprising of 45 actual incidents and 12 attempted incidents have been verified and reported to the ReCAAP during January-August 2018. Of these, 54 were incidents of armed robbery against ships and three were piracy incidents. Compared to January-August 2017, there was a 5 per cent increase in the total number of incidents reported during January-August 2018. During January-August 2017, a total of 54 incidents comprising 46 actual and eight attempted incidents were reported. Source: Schednet
Sharing our expertise on sustainable security systems
The Maritime Security Alliance is a platform of maritime stakeholders aimed to provide ships with non-lethal, non-violent protection against maritime crime. Continuous innovation and creative thinking of its expert team will improve security conditions for seafarers by ensuring effective, legitimate and affordable self-protection measures.
The Maritime Security Alliance offers the service of one single contact for integrated solutions against piracy.
- Piracy Off the Coast of Somalia and Combating it by less Experienced Seafarers
- Nations involved in fight against maritime piracy in Asia meet in Seoul
- Pirates Attack LNG Carrier in Gulf of Guinea
- Nigeria Leads in Piracy Attacks in Gulf of Guinea
- Pirates Seize Eight Polish Crew, Three Others From Ship Off Nigeria Coast
- Getting to the root of maritime piracy
- Nigeria Piracy Attack: MV Glarus update
- Anti Paricay Efforts
- Pirates kidnap 12 crew members from Swiss vessel in Nigerian waters
- Engaging More Platforms in the Fight Against Maritime Crimes