13 June A merchant vessel reported it was approached by four skiffs with six to seven persons on board each at 1650 hrs local time 11 nm off the Yemeni coast in the Bab el Mandeb. The skiffs came within 0.5 nm of the vessel, approaching it at speed and chasing it for 10 minutes before embarked armed security showed their weapons, prompting the skiffs to drop back. Yemen: Houthi missile attack wounds Emirati sailor off Mokha 15 June Saudi-led coalition forces confirmed that a Houthi guided missile had struck an Emirati warship off the Red Sea port of Mokha. One crew member was injured in the attack, which was claimed by Houthi forces. PGI Analysis: The Bab el Mandeb strait has seen an uptick in piracy activity in recent weeks, including a series of reports of suspicious approaches, and notably a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) attack in the area against a tanker on 31 May. The RPG attack marked the third to target a commercial vessel in the strait in recent months after two attacks in October 2016. No group has claimed the attacks against the commercial vessels, although Houthi-allied forces have repeatedly targeted naval vessels operating off Yemen as part of the Saudi-led coalition since late 2016. Such attacks have resulted in occasional damage and casualties, and have also raised concerns about the threat to strategic maritime corridors off Yemen. The region has also seen an uptick in Somali piracy activity since mid-March, further adding to the concerns of shippers transiting the High Risk Area.
Sharing our expertise on sustainable security systems
The Maritime Security Alliance is a platform of maritime stakeholders aimed to provide ships with non-lethal, non-violent protection against maritime crime. Continuous innovation and creative thinking of its expert team will improve security conditions for seafarers by ensuring effective, legitimate and affordable self-protection measures.
The Maritime Security Alliance offers the service of one single contact for integrated solutions against piracy.
- Indian Navy’s anti-piracy patrol seizes arms and ammunition off Somalia coast from a vessel
- Piracy Off the Coast of Somalia and Combating it by less Experienced Seafarers
- Nations involved in fight against maritime piracy in Asia meet in Seoul
- Pirates Attack LNG Carrier in Gulf of Guinea
- Nigeria Leads in Piracy Attacks in Gulf of Guinea
- Pirates Seize Eight Polish Crew, Three Others From Ship Off Nigeria Coast
- Getting to the root of maritime piracy
- Nigeria Piracy Attack: MV Glarus update
- Anti Paricay Efforts
- Pirates kidnap 12 crew members from Swiss vessel in Nigerian waters