13 June A merchant vessel reported it was approached by four skiffs with six to seven persons on board each at 1650 hrs local time 11 nm off the Yemeni coast in the Bab el Mandeb. The skiffs came within 0.5 nm of the vessel, approaching it at speed and chasing it for 10 minutes before embarked armed security showed their weapons, prompting the skiffs to drop back. Yemen: Houthi missile attack wounds Emirati sailor off Mokha 15 June Saudi-led coalition forces confirmed that a Houthi guided missile had struck an Emirati warship off the Red Sea port of Mokha. One crew member was injured in the attack, which was claimed by Houthi forces. PGI Analysis: The Bab el Mandeb strait has seen an uptick in piracy activity in recent weeks, including a series of reports of suspicious approaches, and notably a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) attack in the area against a tanker on 31 May. The RPG attack marked the third to target a commercial vessel in the strait in recent months after two attacks in October 2016. No group has claimed the attacks against the commercial vessels, although Houthi-allied forces have repeatedly targeted naval vessels operating off Yemen as part of the Saudi-led coalition since late 2016. Such attacks have resulted in occasional damage and casualties, and have also raised concerns about the threat to strategic maritime corridors off Yemen. The region has also seen an uptick in Somali piracy activity since mid-March, further adding to the concerns of shippers transiting the High Risk Area.
Sharing our expertise on sustainable security systems
The Maritime Security Alliance is a platform of maritime stakeholders aimed to provide ships with non-lethal, non-violent protection against maritime crime. Continuous innovation and creative thinking of its expert team will improve security conditions for seafarers by ensuring effective, legitimate and affordable self-protection measures.
The Maritime Security Alliance offers the service of one single contact for integrated solutions against piracy.
- War on Indian Ocean piracy cost Sh140 billion last year
- Pirates target six container vessels in first half of 2018
- A new approach to Somali pirates frees more hostages
- Nigeria: As Pirates Ride Roughshod Over Nigerian Waters
- Merchant Navy seeks empowerment to combat piracy
- Piracy made a strong comeback in Somalia in 2017
- Pirate attacks grow in South America and Caribbean
- Somalia defaults on coast guard vessels
- DNV GL: The seven phases of a cyber attack
- Pirates burn, beat, and toss fishermen overboard off Suriname: survivors